What to Look For
Key question you should ask about child care in a school. Choosing someone to care for your child is an important and often difficult decision. Here are some questions to help you make the right choice.
About the School
- What are the opening times?
- What age range do they take?
- At what time can a child be admitted?
- Has your child's security been properly considered?
- Is access to the facility properly controlled?
- How clean are the classrooms, toilets, and play area?
- Whether we have health and safety polices in relation to fires and first aid?
- Whether we have parking facilities?
About Their Staff
- Who is in charge?
- What experience and qualification does they have?
- Who will be personally responsible for your child progress?
- What is the ratio of staff to children?
- How many of the staff is qualified in first aid?
- What happens in case of illness or emergency?
The Care Provided
- What is the procedure for settling in the new children?
- Do the display equipments provide challenging and stimulating environment.
- Will there be a planned progression of activities and skills throughout the year or primarily just play?
- What are the policies on discipline?
- How do you feel about them?
- Have the children been taught to behave towards others in a thoughtful and considerate way?
- Are parents encouraged to visit the school and remain involved with their children's development?
- How are you kept informed of your children's progress, activities and developments?
Observation When You Visit The Nursery
- Do the children look happy and relaxed?
- Are they interested in what they are doing?
- Are members of staff focused on the needs of the children or are they challenging to each other?
- Is the building clean and pleasant?
- Are the toys clean and fairly new or worn out or dirty?
- Do children use the outdoor facility regularly?
- Are there open air play activities?